Let us just say that Robyn Rihanna Fenty has totally taken social media by storm as a mega influencer. Her impact on the fashion and beauty industry has made her one of the most powerful celebrity influencers online (Medium.com). With the launch of Fenty Skin this summer following the success of Fenty Beauty, we all must hail to the queen.
According to Nielsen’s Global Survey of Trust in Advertising, 84% trust people they know. The Fenty empire’s success has reaped all of the rewards with no risk.
What makes Rihanna so influential? In my own opinion, I believe it is her authenticity. She is truly unapologetic about who she is and how she lives her life. We know influencers are partly into the gig for the money, but RiRi turned her power into an empire. She doesn’t just influence, she leverages and then capitalizes for entrepreneurship:
- Lingerie: Savage X Fenty
- Sneakers: Fenty | Puma
- Makeup: Fenty Beauty
- Clothes: Fenty (LVMH Fashion House)
Today’s societies have given celebrities and internet personalities or influencers a crucial role in the advertising of luxury and cosmetic brands (Under the Fenty Umbrella). Not only is Rihanna actively engaged in her business endeavors, but she leverages her social influence by using social media the way her customers do. Starting in her own video tutorials with her own iPhone and showing her fresh face with no makeup are examples of how Rihanna is transforming the customer experience and giving the beauty industry a wake-up call.
Here are some key learnings to maximize your content to embrace mobile moments like Fenty Beauty:
- Being unique means to be inclusive. Many companies focus on their personas and providing an individual or personalized experience. Fenty Beauty leveraged uniqueness to include all types of beauty. It is possible to be an exclusive brand and include everyone. Break down the barriers of diversity and embrace what makes your followers unique.
- Give people what they tell you they want. Social media is a conversational platform where feedback is readily available solicited and unsolicited. Don’t shy away from negative comments because those comments enable room for growth to again, give the people what they want.
- Build loyalty with authenticity. The only way to build trust is through honesty. Being authentic to your brand, your mission, your values are easily detected in this transparent world. The days of “fake it until you make it,” are over.
- Being passionate is not overrated. People often say “passion” is overused and watered down to where it does not have an impact. However, your passion is your motivation. Don’t put your energy into anything you are not passionate about. The more passionate you are about your industry, product and/or service, the easier it is to be authentically who you are.
Fenty Beauty has created its product to be the experience and the CEO is the spokesperson for the brand with no apologies. Putting social and mobile-first equates to a successful marketing strategy. Fenty Beauty has all of the components of what digital innovation stands for including access, one-to-one communication and personalization.