The Philadelphia Zoo was the first official zoo in the U.S. and opened in 1874. It now is home to 1,300 animals. It brings in over a million visitors annually. One of its unique trademarks is Zoo360, which is a trail visitors can follow where animals can roam freely using “see-through mesh”.
While the Zoo has updated its physical attributes, like its animal exhibits and trail, it still has ways to improve its visitor experience. Although its website has been kept up to date, visitors have no way to interact in a technological sense. It has an application based on its Zoo360 trail and map, but, based on its one-star reviews, we have an opportunity to remake it. Our goal is to transform and improve the Zoo’s digital experience. This new application will be available for all visitors. There will be a public version that includes basic information like a digital map and operating hours. On the other hand, we would like to create an “ease of life” aspect for our members, and the app will include a members-only version that has more features such as an interactive map, AR technology component, and gamification.
The project started August 29th, 2021 and is expected to end July 17th, 2022. There are also potential risks associated with the project:
- Features for the zoo. While we can finish creating the application, we also need to make sure the technology revolving around these features are ready by March 31st of next year. An example is our AR technology. We need to make sure that the feature works and that our QR Code stations can be scanned by the users’ phones. Also, once scanned, we need to make sure that users can actually see if the AR technology can be seen.
- Budget. Based on its financial statement from Feb. 2018 to Feb 2019, the zoo had lost money (More expenses than revenue). While the zoo does receive donations and government grants, it needs to balance out those losses. Also, we need to consider the emergence of COVID. The zoo has probably had a low revenue year in 2020 and 2021 due to people being forced at home. While people are starting to visit the zoo again, the numbers are less due to social distancing. What this means is that the company will be less willing to take on new projects such as ours. We need to convince them that our app is worth the investment
- Time. Creating an application like this will take a considerable amount of time. Not only that, we need to incorporate the features as said before to the application and zoo.
The following are stakeholders for the project:
- Members of the zoo
- Public visitor
- Philadelphia Zoo
- Lower Level Staff
- Consultants/Mentors: Amy Lavin, Rebecca Zinn, Collie Turner
For the structure of the project, we will be using the agile method. By constantly contacting each other via Zoom or group chats, our team will be updating each other on our plans. This will give us flexibility and the ability to adapt when we find something new about our client. Currently, these are our objectives, but as said, they can be changed based on new information:
|Project Plan, Company & Brand Profile, Market Segmentation, & Brand Positioning||9/17/2021|
|Identify & Interview/Document Stakeholders||9/24/2021|
|Resource & Budget Plan||10/24/2021|
|Digital Analysis/Data Model||11/21/2021|
|Memo, Marketing Channel||12/12/2021|
|Campaign Activation & Editorial Calendar||01/10/2021|
|Measurement Strategy & KPIs||02/23/2022|
|Introduce App to Public||04/08/2022|
Whose a part of this project?
Our team consists of 6 members, whose skills range from marketing, IT and design. We also will hire 3 external contractors, 2 of which are app developers and 1 historian. In total, we will have 9 members.
Experience ranging from marketing, brand design, animation, and web design. Her skills make her flexible to work on any part of the project.
|Project Manager/Creative One – Lead/guide the team on the right track for each deliverable. Able to work with all sides of the project and give recommendations on what stakeholders want.|
|Gabriella (Gabi) Bruckner
Experience in personnel relations and marketing for multiple years. She will be able to lead the Zoo’s event activations and bring brand awareness.
|PR Manager/Marketing Associate – Lead the company’s personnel relations for the app’s launch to the public. Help with the company’s marketing team of the app’s launch.|
Experience in customer relations for multiple years. She can perfect the customer experience to connect the app to the audience.
|Customer Relation Expert/Marketing Associate – Work with multiple stakeholders to decipher the best information for deliverables. Help with the company’s marketing team of the app’s launch.|
|Madeline (Maddie) Donnelly
Experience in customer relations for multiple years. Her passion for marketing and technology can help the Zoo connect to the audience.
|Customer Service Expert/Marketing Associate – Work with zoo members and stakeholders to create an environment that brings all together for app launch. Help with the company’s marketing team of the app’s launch.|
|Mohamad (Mo) Noor-Chowdhury
Experience in IT for multiple companies. He will be able to innovate the technology that the Zoo is lacking in.
|IT Specialist/Business Analyst – Help with creating multiple innovative features for the app and help keep the team on track for deliverables.|
Experience in marketing and PR for multiple years. She will be able to lead the eCRM campaign and direct the application’s design.
|Marketing Manager/Digital Strategist – Lead the company’s marketing team of the app’s launch. Help with the company’s personnel relations for the app’s launch to the public|
|Full-Time Developer||Primarily works on developing application after consulting with SocialScope team.|
|Part-Time Developer||Works on developing the application. Helps full time developer by overseeing app and can help spot any mistakes.|
|Part-Time Historian||Works on the AR technology feature. Needed for guidance on how old exhibits looked like to create the best experience for users.|
The project will take an expected time of over 11 months, or roughly 50 weeks.
When it comes time to create our prototype, we will be using AdobeXD. Other Adobe products will come in use when it comes to completing charts and designs regarding the prototype and project site. We will also need eCRM platforms like Salesforce and Hootsuite to contact members and keep track of our progress. We also need to account for our paid channels, such as event planning, app development, marketing and social media advertisements. In order to document everything, we will use Microsoft 365 since we can share these documents across all members. We will also post our final deliverables on our WordPress site. For our developers, the best IDE (integrated developer environment) of choice is Microsoft Visual Studio since it is also a part of 365.
Since our app is going to be complex (using geolocation, camera, etc), Our app will roughly cost $120,000 to make. The other tools will cost roughly $20,000. Our paid channels will take about $30,000. Finally, our team of nine will be worth just over $517,000. In total, this amounts to around $687,000. These numbers are an estimate and are more skewed on the higher end to ensure that we have extra money for any external dependencies such as weather factors that can ruin any technology structures (like the QR code kiosks) in the zoo.
Personnel Resource Plan
0 = Little to no work, 0.5 = part time, 1 = Working regular hours, 2 = working overtime or more than standard regular hours
- The first three months of the campaign relates to designing the bulk of the deliverable on Adobe XD, which is why Mohamad and Amber (Product Innovation Team) are putting in the most work then.
- January is when SocialScope starts event planning and contacting press, which are Gabi and Misha’s (Public Relations and Marketing Team) area of expertise
- The last few months relate to interacting with our audience, which is Maddie and Hannah’s (Customer service Team) area of expertise
- Hannah’s skill in Adobe XD allows her to be a part of the Product Innovation team as well
- Maddie’s skills in social media allows her to be a part of the PR and Marketing/Social Media team as well
- Our developers will start working in October
- The historian will start working in November
Tools Resource Plan
|Tools||Duration||Work Hours||Start Date||End Date|
|Adobe XD||43 weeks||1750||09/05/2021||07/03/2022|
|Adobe Photoshop||43 weeks||1250||09/05/2021||07/03/2022|
|Adobe Illustrator||43 weeks||1100||09/05/2021||07/03/2022|
|Microsoft 365||44 weeks||1350||08/29/2021||07/03/2022|
|Microsoft Visual Studio||35 weeks||1920||10/31/2021||07/03/2022|
|Google Ads||17 weeks||700||03/06/2022||07/03/2022|
|Google Analytics||44 weeks||1300||08/29/2021||07/03/2022|
|Google Trends||17 weeks||500||03/06/2022||07/03/2022|