A/B testing is a valuable resource for businesses in any industry. It allows you to make an almost immediate impact on conversion rates and overall user experience on your website. Here’s a personal example of how A/B testing can lead to real improvement within your organization:
Recognizing that our organization’s website was a major pathway for new patients, I initiated a project with an outside agency to test new layouts and functionality with the purpose of increasing conversion rates for several key metrics.
I directed the agency to design a mobile toolbar that would be pinned to the bottom of the screen, with several options for users to select:
- Locations: Directs users to a page with a map and listing of treatment locations
- Find A Doctor: Directs users to a directory page with physician listings, able to be filtered by specialty, practice location, etc.
- Request Appointment: Directs users to our online appointment request form
- Call: Dials our main 888 number
An A/B test was then set up, with this toolbar visible to 50% of mobile users for a total of 14 days. The toolbar was the clear winner in this test:
- Phone calls increased 46.67% at 99.99% statistical significance
- Find A Doctor page clickthroughs increased 14.42% at 96% statistical significance
- Request Appointment page clickthroughs increased 17.54% at 93% statistical significance
With the test showing a clear lift across the high-value metrics we were measuring, the toolbar was made a permanent component of our website.