75 Mill Drive | Levittown, PA 19056 |267-391-5414 | Melissa.Newman@temple.edu
Temple University: Fox School of Business, Philadelphia, PA
Masters of Science, Digital Innovation in Marketing | GPA: 3.67 Pending Completion December 2018
- Teaching Assistant: TechGirlz-Philadelphia, PA Chapter
- Teaching Assistant: Girl Develop It-Philadelphia, PA Chapter
- Volunteer: Communication Committee-Temple University Women’s Alumni Network
Temple University: College of Public Health, Philadelphia, PA
Bachelor of Science, Therapeutic Recreation | GPA: 3.1 Awarded December 2014
- Volunteer: Pegasus Therapeutic Riding Academy, 2012-2013
- Volunteer: Temple University Hospital Recreation Therapy Department, 2012-2013
- Member: American Therapeutic Recreation Association, 2011-Present
Hampton Behavioral Health, Westhampton, NJ March 2017–Present
Creative Therapist (Per-diem)
- Hampton Behavioral Health is a private inpatient Psychiatric Hospital with 160 beds that serve dual diagnosis, adult, geriatric, and adolescent psychiatric populations, which is overseen by Universal Health Services, INC.
- Create and lead three Creative Therapy sessions on both Dual and Geriatric Units. Assist patients in the acquisition of positive coping skills through use of recreation modalities, worksheets, and creative expression activities.
- Observe, analyze, and record patient’s participation in Creative Therapy groups and modify treatment plans as needed. Complete all assigned Recreation Therapy assessments with strict adherence to state regulations and establish initial recreation therapy treatment plans.
Lourdes Medical Center, Willingboro, NJ September 2016–February 2018
Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist
- Senior Behavioral Health at Lourdes Medical Center is a short-term 20-bed inpatient Psychiatric Program dedicated to helping adults 55 and older with Psychiatric Disabilities.
- Independently created and established the first Recreational Therapy Program on Senior Behavioral Health Unit. Plan, coordinate, and lead medically approved group and 1:1 recreational therapy sessions for older adults with chronic psychiatric illness.
- Instruct patients, providing adaptations as needed, into creating healthy leisure habits, development of adaptive coping skills, and stress management techniques. Confer with interdisciplinary treatment team to evaluate success of recreation therapy sessions and re-adjust treatment plans accordingly.
ManorCare, Voorhees, NJ July 2015– August 2016
Director of Recreation
- ManorCare Voorhees is a 120-bed facility that provides rehabilitation services and long-term care to older adults. Managed Recreation Department for both sub-acute rehabilitation and long-term care floors.
- Supervised a department of 4 full-time Activity Assistants, 12 volunteers, and over 30 vendors. Including staff orientation and department training, tracking volunteer engagement and planning vendor activities.
- Complete all clinical documentation: recreation assessments, MDS, progress notes with 72 hours under the guidelines of CMS standards with strict adherence to HIPPA and patient confidentially.
Paul’s Run, Philadelphia, PA January 2015–July 2016
Community Life Leader
- Paul’s Run is a 300 Bed continuing care retirement community that provides long-term, personal care, and independent living for seniors. Co-created and lead a diverse calendar of recreation programming for their 60-bed Skilled Nursing unit.
- Assisted in the planning and supervision of senior trips to promote community engagement
Temple University, Philadelphia, and PA May 2013–November 2013
- Assisted Dr. Gretchen Snethen of the College of Public health implement a pilot study aimed at reducing co-morbidities due to inactivity in adults with Psychiatric Disabilities.
- Completed Data Collection of initial “Needs Assessment Survey,” at 3 separate Comhar, INC sites to establish population sample. In addition, to three separate intervals administered IPAC Scale, Leisure Lifestyle Survey, and basic demographic information.
- Website Administration of custom WordPress Blog utilized by pilot participants. Including developing a content calendar, graphics, exercise videos, and blog posts.
- CPR Certification, 2017
- CTRS Certification, May 2015-May 2020
- Hootsuite, MailChimp, Canva
- HTML/CSS, WordPress