This assignment is based on the Harvard Business Publishing Simulation “Project Management Simulation: Scope, Resources, Schedule.” You will need to register on the site and purchase the simulation in order to complete the assignment. You cannot use another student’s account for this, since your score will be registered on the site.
To complete the assignment:
- Log into the Harvard Business Publishing site using your account.
- Go to the entry for the simulation. It will take you to forio.com to run the simulation.
- Make sure you thoroughly read through the sections in the “prepare” window. There is a brief video tutorial that is also helpful.
Run the simulation once to get a feel for it:
- Your goal is to create the specified product on schedule and on budget. The simulation gives you extra points for exceeding those goals (coming in under budget and ahead of schedule).
- Run through the simulation by selecting levels for scope, schedule, and resources. Each turn you have the choice to advance one week, two weeks, four weeks, or to the end of the simulation.
- Make a note of the analysis and feedback you receive at the end of the simulation. You will also receive a score for that run.
- Try the simulation a few more times. Try different combinations of scope, schedule, and resources. Also experiment with the amount of meetings you have. Observe the effects on your team’s performance.
- Each time, your performance will be recorded for me to review. However, I will only count your best score, so feel free to experiment and run the simulation as many times as you want.
In order to receive credit, you must successfully complete the simulation by delivering the project within scope (the original target product) and on time (the latest target completion date set by management or earlier). If you run over time, try it again. You can try as many times as you want.
In a Word document, provide the following:
- A screen print of the “project rating” page of your best run (the one with the highest score). You should be able to get to your past runs by selecting “archived runs” at the bottom left of the main simulation page.
- Answers to the following two questions
(about 3 to 4 sentences for each question; don’t exceed one single-spaced page):
- What strategies did you use in attempting to manage the project? What worked? What did not?
- Did you find it was more difficult to remain on time or within budget? Why do you think that was the case?
POST THE WORD DOCUMENT TO YOUR OWLBOX BY THE DUE DATE SPECIFIED IN THE SCHEDULE!
The student who receives the highest simulation score in the class will receive a prize (i.e., not just the admiration of your peers)!