Social media has taken over as being a primary source for engagement. There’s a good reason for it as approximately 77% of the United States population uses social media (2). That means out of the 328.2 million people in the US, 247 million people use social media (3). This infers that the highest guaranteed place to reach people is online. Engagement can be considered comments, likes and retweets on a post. It’s a way to see who is paying attention to your brand or person. It’s important because this can increase brand awareness, number of followers, website traffic, and sales (4). Engaging with users is a great way to understand their needs. The online world has limitless potential, but It all depends on how companies utilize their platforms.
The class reading Social Media and Politics, discusses how three presidential candidates had social media, but had different results (5). Trump, Clinton and Sanders were all active on Facebook and Twitter. Although each candidate posted at similar rates, Trump received the highest number of responses on both platforms. This was due to his strategy. While Clinton and Sanders focus on posting and retweeting about news and their campaigns, Trump engaged with the public directly. He would retweet and respond to his followers’ posts and comments. This tactic set him apart which allowed his platforms to see a better response rate. Social media engagement is so much more than just having a platform. It’s the ability to utilize it in a way that will help your brand. Trump was able to respond to his users which allowed them to get answers and feel like a part of something rather than just a follower.
In order to see high response rates, its important to talk about interesting topics that people feel passionate about. This will generate conversation and make them feel engaged. It’s also good to answer questions that users pose and share their content. This will make people more inclined to share your content in the future.
Questions to think about: Is there anyone you can think of that does and really good job with social media engagement? What makes this person stand out? Do you personally engage with people on social media? If not, what would incline you to do so? What are your best tips to see the highest response rate on social media?
- Image created by Kassi Jata
- Clement, J. “Social Media Usage in U.S.”Statista, 19 May 2020, www.statista.com/statistics/273476/percentage-of-us-population-with-a-social-network-profile/.
- Duffin, Published by Erin, and Sep 23. “U.S. Population by Age and Gender 2019.”Statista, 23 Sept. 2020, www.statista.com/statistics/241488/population-of-the-us-by-sex-and-age/.
- “5 Proven Benefits of Social Media Engagement: New Media Services.”5 Proven Benefits of Social Media Engagement | New Media Services, 28 July 2020, newmediaservices.com.au/benefits-of-social-media-engagement/.
- Pew Research Center: Journalism & Media staff. “2016 Presidential Candidates Differ in Their Use of Social Media to Connect with the Public.”Pew Research Center’s Journalism Project, 28 Aug. 2020, www.journalism.org/2016/07/18/candidates-differ-in-their-use-of-social-media-to-connect-with-the-public/.