One of my favorite aspects of being a manager in my position is building good team morale and using tools that make communication across my team simplistic. Using the study of project management in these courses, I wanted to provide a list of my favorite tools in regards to the agile methodology.
Requirements – Brainstorming what is expected from the stakeholders
- Sticky Notes: This application is meant to collect all thoughts onto paper. This could be to simply brainstorm and see how frequently needs seem to appear in order to rank importance. This tool is a great digital advantage to giving each stakeholder the opportunity to speak with the team about needs in order to set expectations for the creation of the project.
Design- Digital creation for visual blueprinting
- Figma: This platform allows multiple devices to be designed for easing the user experience. I have found Figma to be an excellent way to blueprint the internal design of the project, showing functionality and design prior to the development of the
Development- Physical creation of the prototype
- 3D Printers: This new technology has made it easier for prototypes to be built by anyone with the materials to do so. The scale of the project is also no problem for these printers as they have built as large as a house to smaller household items.
Testing – Reviewing what requirements were successful in the prototype
- I have not found a great tool for this portion of the agile method, however I do believe that reviewing the requirements as a team at this stage will help to rank the prototype to see what could be improved upon.
Deployment – Sending the product to the stakeholders
- AdobeXD: The best compilation tool focusing on summary and product development with a touch of creativity and branding. Adobe products may be overwhelming for some without the experience, however, the advancement in tools throughout their platform has made the software a leader in presenting to stakeholders at this point in the project.
Review – How does the team feel they performed
- Teamflect: This add-on to Microsoft Teams allows individuals on a project to score themselves, meetings, and review other team member’s skills. Reflection is a vital role in the project development world to increase productivity and eliminate mistakes in the future.
Team Management – Important to keep individuals on task and teams moving forward
- Todoist: This web-based platform is great for assigning, brainstorming and keeping the team well-informed on the project. I use this to give daily, weekly and monthly tasks which each team member can view. The transparency by using this platform keeps from repetition on tasks and accountability throughout the team.
While I only mentioned my favorite tools for each step in the agile method, there are many more to discover with time and experience. These tools are helpful to establish the processes that we are learning and continue to adapt to the agile method for best practices in prototyping.