Each section meets every other week for 3 hours and is comprised of the following components:
- Lecture – based upon readings and instructor insight
- Slide Deck – This should accompany the lecture and should be made available to the students via the course site one week before class
- Discussion – last 30 minutes of each class should be reserved for this
- Activity – each meeting should include at least 1 activity to be conducted via breakout rooms where students will have the opportunity to discuss, update, share insight
- Reflect – each deck should allow a question or two for the students to reflect upon – to allow the students to add their own thoughts and feedback. A good suggestion might be to use the reflection before switching topics
- Guest speakers – this is not a requirement, but if utilized, the guest speaker should be applicable to the topic covered in class
- Case Study – weekly case studies should be used to reinforce topics and enable students to think critically about the course topics.
The learnathons are interwoven with the corresponding course for the semester and the designated faculty member should prepare for each section they are responsible for accordingly.
Learnathons must begin promptly each week. They should not to go past the designated end time. People have prior commitments and this sort of time keeping issue is bad for business.