In any given project, finding ways to automate steps can identify trends and lead to process improvement. When done right it can lead to digital agility in an organization. Which can ultimately lead to the reduction of cost, errors, rise in revenue, and improving productivity. Especially in a Covid-19 world, this can be critical for the survival of an organization. Since corporations globally are seeing a cut in either employees or resources, being digital agile can aid in the success of companies during these uncertain times.
Sophie Thompson, director of solution delivery at Catalytic suggests automating six areas in order to achieve digital agility which includes:
- Reviewing data quality: When data is missing, wrong, or old, it leads to unnecessary rework and manual review.
- Identifying gaps, omissions, and duplicates: Keeps employees from doing redundant work but also helps improve data quality.
- Triggering a process to fix the issue. Automatically trigger an automated process to track and manage an issue that allows teams to coordinate all of the required activities around issue resolution and provide visibility into roadblocks or delays in getting to a solution.
- Sending smart web forms. Improves visibility into a process, making businesses smarter in how they work and connect people.
- Storing customer, vendor, and employee responses in a database: Gives insight on customer feedback and connects the right people for the right jobs fast!
- Organizing data to make a case for continuous improvement. When data is collected properly and is accessible, it’s easy to identify trends and areas for improvement.
Another great way to improve the process is to look for the early warning signs for failure. According to CIO “Common reasons for failure include lack of management support and unclear objectives. Warnings are much more concrete and concerned with the day-to-day running of the project.” I couldn’t tell you how many projects fell through or didn’t reach their full potential because of poor project management (probably because we don’t have project managers…)
Also, another way to improve digital agility is to be sure you have the best technology or software for your corporation. It’s not a one size fits all but one example is Robotic Process Automation (RPA) tools automate specific tasks. The tasks best suited for RPA are structured, repetitive, and rules-based. Examples of using this technology include migrating data from one system to another. But we must also never forget that having the best talent for the job is key in overall process improvement as well.