In the Context of the Current and New Target Markets
Evaluating COA’s Current Tactics
What is the Overall Architecture of the Digital Platform?
To help our client, Clean Ocean Action (COA) to reach a younger, more tech-savvy demographic, we are proposing two main changes: (1) website re-architecture; (2) a more strategic social media plan.
The architecture of the new COA website will include a homepage, learn pages, and the ability to both sign up for volunteer events, as well as, donate online. The learn pages will focus on providing site visitors with additional information about current issues & campaigns, upcoming events and educational programs. The new site will be optimized for users on both desktop and mobile devices.
Additionally, we will be proposing a new social media strategy for COA. In order to reach the targeted Millennial audience, COA will have to improve their social media presence and develop a more strategic content marketing plan.
What are the Pros of this Strategy?
- Keep website visitors informed: Present the public with up-to-date and relevant information regarding COA’s mission and focus areas.
- Increase online visibility: An updated website can benefit COA’s search engine optimization strategy. This will help users find COA via Google searches.
- Attract and maintain a new target market. Creating an attractive and engaging website will attract users, specifically the younger demographics.
What are the Cons of this Strategy?
- Finding points of differentiation from other NJ organizations: There are over 34,000+ 501(c)(3) organizations in New Jersey. http://www.njnonprofits.org/NJNonprofitCom.html
- Expensive to get traffic to the website: Smaller non-profits like COA may not have a budget like some larger organizations to utilize Paid Social or Paid Search ads to drive traffic to their website. Digital marketing tactics will be an additional cost that will need to be factored into COA’s budget.
- Getting buy-in from stakeholders: A potential roadblock would be getting COA stakeholder buy-in on the new website. This will require team members to learn and develop skills and align with new goals.
How Does it Compare to Competitors?
- Long-established organization: Established in 1984, COA has been around for 34 years.
- A coalition of various organizations: COA is a group of 125+ organizations that span boating, business, conservation, religious, student, surfing and women’s groups. It partners with other non-profits, rather than solely competing against them.
- Track record of establishing change: COA has a success record with past campaigns like the “Clean Ocean Zone”, an initiative written, supported, and promoted by all of the citizens with an interest in a clean, healthy, New York/New Jersey Bight. www.cleanoceanaction.org
What are the Future Growth Prospects for the Website?
- E-Commerce experience: Offering COA branded merchandise for purchase on the website, with all proceeds funding COA.
- Affiliate partnerships: Creating strategic partnerships with other local businesses or organizations.
- Influencer collaboration: Aligning with local celebrities or influencers to launch promotional social campaigns; also activate the 125 current members of the organization.
- Recruiting a junior board: Team up with local high schools (MAST) or universities (Monmouth University).
What is the Impact or Use of Technology in the Mobile or Social Space?
- Mobile technology adoption is on the rise since 2012: According to a recent survey, 9 out of 10 Millennials (born 1981-96) when compared to Gen Xers (born 1965-80), Baby Boomers (born 1946-64) and Silent Generation (born before 1945). This emphasizes the importance of COA having a website that caters to individuals on smartphone or tablet devices.
- Millennials use more social media than any other generation: According to the same survey, 86% of Millennials report using more social media.
- Impact related to COA: The impact of technology is that the organization is losing out to competitors who are more digital savvy and are attracting younger demographics. Implementing an optimized digital strategy via an improved social media strategy and updated website, would provide a place for the younger target demographic to easily navigate and become Clean Ocean Action loyalists.
What are the Future Growth Prospects for Social Media?