The target market for On the GO Eats are college students and millennials. Since our app will be locating food trucks in a college town, it makes sense that this will be our target market. In retrospect, this is also the main demographic that go to food trucks and have a good understanding of how to use delivery food apps. According to an IBISWorld Inc. report, 43% of food truck spending each month is made by 25- to 44-year-olds, with an additional 20% coming from those under the age of 25.
A couple reasons why this demographic loves food trucks:
- Convenience: Food trucks supply quick and delicious food options, particularly for those who work in commercial areas where there are few meal choices.
- Support Small Businesses: Many millennials and Gen Z-ers would rather support a local food truck entrepreneur than spend their dollars at a chain.
- Exposure to New Cuisines and Flavor Combinations: This target audience enjoys being able to sample new cuisines and flavorings without having to commit to a cost-heavy sit-down restaurant entrée.
- The Cool Factor: Millennials love taking part in the modern food truck craze and sharing photos of their unique food truck meals.
- Community: This demographic enjoys dining outdoors with other food truck patrons in parks and creating dining spaces alongside others at events.
Existing Competitors in the Market
Food delivery apps are popular in urban areas, especially in Philadelphia. While our app isn’t a food delivery app, it does have similar features to apps such as DoorDash and UberEats. The audience for that market is Gen Z and Millennials, the same as our target audience. These demographics are people looking for convenient solutions to access their next meal. According to DoorDash statistics, 60% of millennials want restaurants to use technology to make it easier to order and enjoy meals.
- Competitors: Our main competitors are third party platforms like UberEats, DoorDash, and Toast. Restaurants and food establishments use these platforms for mobile ordering, delivery, and as a point of sale. On the Go Eats fits between these providers: as a more encompassing app than Toast but without the emphasis on delivery like UberEats. Other competitors include restaurants and other food establishments that will not be included in the On the Go app. Since we will share the market and clients, any other establishment that primarily sells ready-to-eat food is a competitor.
- Clients: Within our platform and our competition, clients include restaurants/vendors, delivery drivers, and customers. Third party delivery/pickup platforms like UberEats and DoorDash do not typically have exclusive rights to restaurants on their platforms. Meaning, restaurants may sign up for more than one of these existing platforms to increase awareness and expand their reach due to each platform’s constraints.
- Market: On the Go Eats fits into the technology and hospitality sectors. We provide access to food via respective establishments and a financial service through a tech-enabled e-commerce platform.
- Mobile Sharing: Using social media buttons to make sharing easy from a mobile device. Encourages people to share content without having to copy and paste anything.
- Broadcasting Location: Embedding goggle maps on mobile app to broadcast location in real-time. Useful in cases of surprise schedules or location changes. If there is an unexpected complication that pushes truck to different spot, its easy to keep customers informed on-the-go.
- Campaigns: Food truck association can recruit new members that are experienced in using mobile technology in there business, which can benefit community within the food truck association. Reassurances that vendors know their profit margin through data analytics to participate in off campus events or to expand business ventures.
- Optimize: The target customers are used to mobile ordering on other platforms so having a website/app that suit a smaller device(Screen) and navigation formats.
Who are our Customers?
- Point of Sale: Having something mobile or handheld that can run credit cards, orders. Helps send orders easily to the truck of choice from anywhere. Also beneficial for the truck itself because it fits into the small space and streamlines all processes.
- Digital menus: Creates a good impression. The right layout, background and themes that appeal to customers. Having the option to substitute items from the menu and personalize meals.
- Location Tracking: Knowing where food truck is at all times for returning customers, and being able to discover new trucks. Customers are aware of how to find the truck without constantly updating your location.
For more information about our Brand Positioning, click here