GOAL OF MOBILE APPLICATION
To build a loyal fan base by engaging and interacting with fans at games and outside of the stadium. The mobile app will be a place for fans to build a community, enhance the game experience, and stay involved with the team and players.
MOBILE APP FEATURES
Focus around engagement, community, and in-game promotions that enhance the overall fan experience.
Fan feed, shared team content, awards and achievements, stadium information and deals, and merchandise.
KEY POINT – DIFFERENTIATION FROM NHL APP
The NHL app is more of a utility app that offers global stats, rosters, and ticketing for all selected NHL teams. Our custom-built app offers Sockeyes’ fans a much fuller experience. Through our app, fans become a part of the game experience – not just a casual viewer.
The goal of the app is to enhance the fan experience by building a community of fans to engage with each other and the team. We will do this by designing an app that fosters fan conversations and provides stadium benefits that enhance their experience at the game.
- We will always design from the user’s point of view.
- We will aim to ensure consistency across the experience through signifiers and affordances that are intuitive, bold, and universal on the application.
- We will enhance the user experience by improving the discoverability of content and clear paths to achieving their goals.
By following these principles, we aim to create an app that is user-friendly, useful, and drives community action. In doing so, the app will foster a community of fans and enhance the fan experience both in and out of the stadium.
- User-first Approach: All the features and functions on the application will be built with the user in mind. The application will be secure and personalized to the user. We will personalize the user experience by allowing customization of notifications, food preferences, and asking questions about the user such as are you attending with a family, which type of food do you prefer at the game, etc. We will take all of this information and create a personalized experience for the user through images, notifications, and recommendations.
- Intuitive: The key to a successful app is keeping in line with UI/UX best practices. The design will be simple, yet well-balanced. We will not incorporate features or functions that will be new to the user. The app will include onboarding walkthroughs, a help section, and support.
- Useful: All the features and functionality added to the app will need to be useful to the user in their fan journey. If the feature doesn’t provide value during the game or in fostering the community, it will not be added as a feature. We will determine usefulness by analyzing the app usability over time. We will install Mixpanel analytics on the application to see how users are interacting with each feature, flowing between features, and which features are not being used. This will inform how we will enhance the app overtime – add new features, make updates, etc.
- Community-drive: Our main goal with the app is to foster a sense of community and engagement with other fans and the team. In order to do this, the app design needs to have clear paths to engagement. We will do this by creating clear visual clues in areas where they need to engage and prompt users to be a part of the conversation through notifications, compelling content, and visual cues.
About: The fan feed is a twitter-like feed that encourages fans to post, comment, share, and react to content.
Goal: The fan feed aims to build a community between fans and facilitate a conversation for those who love hockey.
Function: The app user will be able to pose or contribute to posts, photos, videos, questions, reactions, polls etc. Game updates will be added here.
- Trending – Reddit like up and down arrows to show the most popular content.
- Add filter – trending, newest/oldest, engagement.
About: This area will articles and Videos exclusive to people on the app.
Goal: The goal is to bring the fans closer to the team by providing insider content.
Function: You will be able to read/watch content within this section. You can share content from this section into the fan feed in order to add comments and start conversations with other fans. Fans will be able to set notifications/alerts on the content they are most interested in within the app settings.
About: This area acts as a loyalty program for fans. Fans will get points for different actions – buying tickets, contributing on the feed, purchasing merchandise, etc. The awards will have levels and points. Fans can redeem their points for rewards.
Goal: To engage and incentivize fans to continue to use the app.
- Total Points
- Points to next award
- Redeem points
About: The stadium section of the app will provide knowledge on the stadium. This section of the app will be used by people attending the game.
Goal: To enhance the fan experience while in the stadium and provide them with the information they need at their fingertips.
Function: The Stadium section will use beacon technology to help the attendee find their seat. During the game, it will provide lines reports on bathrooms and concessions nearby, promos/deals at the concessions near them, and enable them to order food to be delivered to their seat. Attendees will receive notifications when the lines are short.
About: The shop section will be for buying team merchandise in-stadium and outside of the stadium.
Goal: To generate revenue from the app via easy purchasing.
Function: The in-stadium store will be set up similar to the Amazon store in Seattle. They won’t have to stand in line to purchase – just sync their amazon account and be able to pick merchandise and walk out of the store. Users will also be able to shop and buy merchandise from the app.
About: This section will have all of the general information, security, terms, connection to NHL app, etc.
Goal: To provide the user with the information they need on the app.
Functions: Here they will be able to set preferences, get more information on the team, and read privacy information.