In this project, you will learn how to create a usable website using the Genesis framework. The deliverable for this project is a site which will demonstrate your knowledge of Genesis and the basics of user experience design.
The Genesis framework
- Temple has a site license to lynda.com which includes excellent step-by-step tutorials on how to use Genesis. To access these tutorials, visit https://lynda.temple.edu/ and login using your Temple credentials
- Next click the following link: Learning Genesis for WordPress (note: you must first login as specified above to benefit from the Temple site license).
- The latest version of the Genesis framework is already available on the MS DIM site.
- Please ignore the sections in the tutorial about Installing the Genesis Framework or working with templates.
- Start watching the Lynda tutorial and experiment using your own site.
- To create a site, hover on Hello,…, Sites, and click Create a Site.
- To hide your site from the Internet:
- Select Visible only to registered users of this network
- Click the Create Site button at the bottom.
- Click on the URL of the new site in the new message/alert to visit it.
- Select the Executive Pro theme for the new site. This is the theme that the tutorial uses.
- Visit the new site
- Hover on the site name (at the top of the screen near the left) and click Dashboard.
- Activate the Executive Pro theme by hovering on Appearance (on the left near the middle) and click Themes.
- Hover on the Executive Pro theme and click Activate.
- Visit the site by clicking Visit site.
Create a site using the Genesis Executive Pro theme. The content does not matter but it will easier for you if you have a goal in mind, such as creating a new design for your e-portfolio, MS DIM home page, new look and feel for your corporate home page, your new consulting business, reflections on this experience, or a project at work. However, the site should provide a good user experience. Apply the course concepts to arrange the various components in a usable and interesting manner. The site should at the minimum contain the following.
- Home page that includes the Genesis Featured Page widget and Genesis Featured Post widget
- At least one menu including five menu items, and at least two sub-menus
- 6 pages and 6 posts. Each should have at least 100 words of content. The actual content does not matter. Paste in material from one of your projects.
- Layout that uses at least one sidebar
- Sidebar should include at the minimum the following: (a) Search widget, (b) Archives widget
- Image logo in the header
- Breadcrumbs enabled
- Comments enabled with one test comment
- Content archives using the “Limit Content” option (set to 50 words)
- [Optional] Use the Genesis Responsive Slider on the home page.
Create a Word file that includes the following:
- The URL of the new site.
- A short one paragraph reflection that includes (a) site goals, (b) what you learned about user experience and website design, and (c) what is still missing.
- The due date is listed on the schedule. Please submit no later than beginning of the class on the day it is scheduled be discussed in that class.
- A few students may be randomly selected to present their work during a Learnathon.
- Submit the file on OWLbox.