Our company has a large cross-team project coming up that I am leading. Our product search on our site is a struggle and has been for many years. It cannot do simple things like sort, filter, multiterm keyword searches, etc. Every department has ideas of how this thing should work and the requirements to make the project successful. The goal, make it easier for end users to find what they want so they can buy what they want faster.
Seems simple however after holding brainstorming sessions and interviews with each internal team I came up with a very large list of 40 requirements. I think I may have over-elicited. :/
So how to handle it from here? Because the developer does not want me to hand him these requirements and my pretty photoshop mock (prototype of sorts) and say go at it. He’d never finish. So I held a prioritizing meeting with a drilled down team of seven individuals representing all the teams I had interviewed on the first go round.
We set up a whiteboard with all 40 requirements on large Post-Its. They were color coordinated by work level it would take to develop each (high, medium, low) provided by the developer before the meeting.
By the end of the meeting, we had a needs pile of about eight cards which only two were a high difficulty for development. The wants column we prioritized in order. The first pile for needs was going to definitely happen for phase one. The wants pile would be addressed in phase two. The final two piles were “later” and “never”. A few we did manage to move into those columns knowing later may never happen as well.
When all was said and done I went to our trello board which is how our IT functions and sorted all of these requirements by phase level and had detailed notes in each. Next step, set deadlines and timeframes around phase one. Wish us luck!